Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

I felt bad because I had not found a Valentine's Day present for Carole. To make me feel better, she offered to take me out for a Valentine's Day dinner. A neighbor suggested we go to Cheddar's, a new restaurant in McAllen, Texas. Although Cheddar's is a chain, we haven't had one in Kansas City, so we had not previously heard of it. But based on the recommendation of our friends and neighbors, we went to the Cheddar's in McAllen.


We were pleasantly surprised. The restaurant was very nice . . . an attractive building and very attractively decorated inside. As might be expected, there was a waiting line on Valentine's Day, but we sat at the bar for about 30 minutes while we waited for a table. I had a giant Texas Margarita and Carole had a huge Pain Killer. We ordered an appetizer but were called to our table before it arrived, so they delivered it direct to our table instead of the bar.

I ordered grilled chicken with pineapple salsa served over rice along with steamed broccoli and carrots. Carole ordered a chicken pot pie. Both dinners were excellent and the service was very good.


In the picture above, just look at the size of that Margarita glass . . . and I had two of them!

Our only criticism of that Cheddar's Restaurant was it was very noisy. Many families brought young kids to the restaurant who certainly contributed to the noise level. I don't know if that's the reason for the high sound level or if it's the acoustics in that restaurant.

But the food and service were so good, I would go back in a minute.

Later in the day, I learned that a Cheddar's Restaurant recently opened in Overland Park, Kansas, on the Southwest side of Kansas City . . . and my granddaughter, Jordan Crowl, is working there as a hostess . . . so we will definitely go to Cheddar's when we return home.

We enjoyed a very nice "Valentine's Day".

No comments: