Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mini-Dish Wifi Antenna

While we are at home with "The Bus" parked in our driveway, I pick up our Internet connection via wifi from our neighbor's house. They have a DSL line; we don't even have a phone line and, of course, cable connections are not available out here in the country. Our neighbor has graciously allowed me to use their Internet connection. However, the signal strength is generally very weak so that I can only pick up the signal in "The Bus", which sets in our driveway closer to the neighbor's. I have not been able to connect while in the house.

I found a "Mini-Dish Wifi Antenna" at a local electronics store. It's supposed to boost the incoming wifi signal up to 300%, so I bought one.




With this cute little "Mini-Dish Wifi Antenna", I can pick up the wifi signal from our neighbor's house. I now have moved my computer from "The Bus" into the house in a second story bedroom, which I use for an office. I set the "Mini-Dish" in the window and point it toward the neighbor's house.

Before I was unable to pick up any wifi signal in the house, but now I can use my computer in my second story office. I don't think it increases the signal 300%, but it does increase it enough to make the wifi signal usable.

What won't they think of next!

No comments: