Wednesday, June 17, 2009

New Camera

The digital camera I have been using for several years is a Kodak, 3.2 megapixel with no telephoto zoom. The pictures I have posted on the Blog are not very sharp and when the picture is of a far away object, the object is pretty small . . . like the deer in the previous post. When I have tried to crop a photo to make the image appear larger, the photo really gets grainy.

My brother, Ron, told me I could buy a new, better camera for less money than I paid for my new barbecue grill. In the mail, I just received a flyer from a local computer store announcing a big camera sale. So, with the need (no, desire) to upgrade, I went to the computer store to find out what's new in digital cameras.

I was mesmerized by a Nikon, 10 megapixel camera with a 5x optical zoom . . . plus a 4x digital zoom. It only measures 2" x 3 1/2" and it's less than an inch thick . . . shirt pocket size . . . smaller than a package of cigarettes . . . and it was on sale for only $169 . . . half of what I paid for the new barbecue grill. Ron was right! The prices of digital cameras have really come down and the available features have dramatically increased.

Needless to say, I came away from the computer store with a new 10 megapixel Nikon camera. Here is a pair of comparative pictures of a bluebird in our front yard:














The photo on the left was taken with my old Kodak, and yes, there is a bluebird setting on top of the bird feeder. The photo on the right was taken with my new Nikon using the telephoto zoom. Quite a difference!

No comments: