Monday, February 9, 2009

Chili Cook Off

After several very windy days, God smiled down on us today. Winds have been 25-30 MPH the last few days, but this afternoon the winds dropped to a gentle breeze just in time for our scheduled "Chili Cook Off".

Some 12-15 couples in our immediate vicinity were invited to take part . . . couples from Manitoba, Ontario, Missouri, Iowa, Vermont, Colorado, and Kansas. Four prepared chili and others prepared hot dogs & buns (for chili dogs), coleslaw, condiments, and deserts. We set up tables between RVs and every one brought chairs.



One chili was fairly mild prepared by a person from Missouri, one was more spicy and used chili powder from Idaho and was prepared by a person from Vermont, one was spicy and kind of sweet prepared by a person from Manitoba, and I prepared my famous white chili. All of the chili was good, but I received a lot of very favorable comments on my white chili. I was surprised, however, that a lot of people had never heard of white chili before.

I also prepared jalapeno corn bread, using my daughter, Cindy's, recipe. She was always so proud of her corn bread and it received rave reviews here in Texas, although I found that the rack in our oven in "The Bus" tilts to the back. The corn bread dough ran to the back of the pan, so the corn bread was an inch deep in the front of the pan an inch and a half deep in the back of the pan . . . corn bread over done in the front and maybe a little under done in the back. They had their choice of crisp or moist . . . I told them it was moist because it had a can of cream style corn in it. They all loved it!

















The desert included a birthday cake to celebrate anyone who had a birthday in February or March. We had two birthdays to celebrate.

Everyone enjoyed trying the different kinds of chili with a variety of condiments. It was a very warm afternoon, so after we all sampled as much chili as we could, everyone sat around in the shady areas near the RVs and chatted well into the late afternoon.

















As usual, I ate too much, but it was all so tasty. And, best of all, we had great weather, a sunny warm day with only a slight breeze for the "Chili Cook Off". The weather forecast is for the winds to return tomorrow, so we managed to squeeze the "Chili Cook Off" in between a couple of windy days!

Oh yes, I recovered from the "Texas Funk" but I do have a lingering cough. I thought sure the chili would have curred any remnant of the "Texas Funk"!

No comments: