Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cherry Vodka

I came to The Valley with a bottle of "Cherry Vodka" made at home using a recipe from my good friend and Dairy Farmer neighbor back in Kansas, Louie Franke. I made this batch from fresh bright red tart pie cherries. For a Christmas toast, I pulled the bottle out and shared it with our neighbors here in Palm Shadows RV Park.

My "Cherry Vodka" was a big hit! So much so that a couple neighbors asked for the recipe, then made a special trip to the store for bright red tart pie cherries. The only ones they could find were canned, but they wanted to make their own "Cherry Vodka", so they used the canned cherries, bottled it, and set it to fermenting!

Although I had told them to let it set for at least four months, they just couldn't wait, and got into it after three months. Neighbors were invited to sample the new batches and I brought mine out to compare the new batches with the original.




The two new batches were a little sweeter and probably needed to "cure" and little longer. But they were definitely very good. With a little practice, I'm sure our Palm Shadows neighbors will be able to also make a good batch of "Cherry Vodka".

No comments: