Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Back to Mexico

While my brother, Ron, was here, he wanted to make a trip to Mexico where he could pick up duty-free liquor. Carole chose to stay at home, so Ron & I drove to the International crossing to Progreso, Mexico, parked the Blazer on the US side of the bridge and walked across to Mexico.

There was a crowd of Winter Texans on the streets, as usual, along with an abundance of street vendors.

















However, Ron and I managed to get off the street and stopped in an outdoor Mexican Bar where we ordered a couple of Margaritas. Before we knew it, the waiter brought a couple more, then a couple more, then a couple more, then a couple more . . . boy were they good! Real Mexican Margaritas. . . . but we did also have an order of taquitos for lunch.




Back on the street, I saw a cowboy hat I couldn't live without. It was priced at $10, the vendor said he would sell it for $9, I said I would only pay $8, and he said OK. So I bought a cowboy hat! I should have offered $7.










We walked past more street vendors, more displays, lots of jewelery, pottery, belts, CD's, flowers, and lots of other stuff, including one selling only fresh garlic.

















We then picked up our duty-free liquor, and walked past the Mexican Army border guards back across the border to the Blazer.




We had made the trip "Back to Mexico", Ron got his duty-free liquor, I got a cowboy hat, and we both returned to the US with more than our import quota of Margaritas.

No comments: