Monday, January 12, 2009

Guy's Morning Out

The ladies in the neighborhood thought it was a good idea if the guys in the neighborhood had a morning out. Little did we know it was because there was a jewelry party at the clubhouse here in the park . . . but we all jumped at the chance for a "Guys Morning Out".

Many of the guys in the neighborhood and I went to the Shriner's Lodge in McAllen, Texas, where they were serving breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, hash brown potatoes, biscuits & sausage gravy, french toast, and coffee . . . all you can eat for $4.00! And it was for a good cause with the proceeds to be used by the Shriners to help children in the area who have medical problems.

Sorry, I forgot my camera, so there are no pictures today.

After breakfast, we went to Harbor Freight Tools . . . a real GUY shopping place! Of course, I couldn't just shop. I had to buy something. So I came away with an LED light for my outdoor gas grill (now I can bar-b-que after dark without holding a flashlight in my hand) and a really cool laser temperature sensor so I can quickly check the condition of the tires on "The Bus" when we are on the road.

After Harbor Freight, we went to Sun Harbor Market so some of the guys could pick up tart cherries to make cherry vodka. Yes, they all loved my cherry vodka and asked for my recipe so they could make their own batch. Of course, after Sun Harbor, we had to go to a liquor store for the vodka. Then we stopped by Stark's Meats, the only place around here that carries real Iowa beef cut like they do back home, to pick up some great steaks.

We returned to the Park about noon and learned the get together at the clubhouse was not a jewelry party after all. It was a Beignet Party where french pastries and coffee with Kalula were served. Entertainment and live music was also provided. The ladies paid a dollar a number to dance with about ten guys. I guess it was a fund-raiser . . . but they couldn't have raised much from all of those retired women.

Carole had stayed home to do laundry, so she missed a good time with the ladies. I guess the other ladies enjoyed the party . . . and it was nice to have an excuse for a "Guy's Morning Out".

Then we opened my bottle of cherry vodka for a little toast so the guys would all know what their batch is supposed to taste like. A nice way to end a "Guys Morning Out".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there!!! Dean I want your cherry vodka recipe! I am like G'ma I love Vodka!!! Miss you guys!