Monday, June 7, 2010

Ouch!

On our trip North, we stopped in a quaint little town and parked "The Bus" so we could get out and walk down the shady Main Street. Unfortunately, the streets were tree lined and when I parked, I was only about a foot away from a 4 inch tree branch near the back of "the Bus". But it was of little concern because the street was clear ahead of us all the way to the next corner.

We had a nice leisurely walk window shopping, and then returned to "The Bus" to continue our journey. When we were ready to pull out, a car pulled in to the only parking space in front of us, blocking us in. I gave him a short touch on the air horn and he pulled forward slightly giving me enough room to swing out into the traffic lane.

Then I made a stupid mistake! I forgot two things: (1) the tree branch close to the back of "The Bus", and (2) the fact that in a long vehicle with a long rear overhang, when you turn hard left, the back of "The Bus" actually goes to the right. Yes, as I turned sharply to the left easing into the traffic lane, we heard a "crunch". That tree branch had us!

I pulled around the corner to inspect the damage and it made me sick to look at the result of my stupidity. I went into a nearby store, bought some duck tape, and patched the hole. This is the way "The Bus" now looks wearing duck tape on the rear corner.


I have been so proud of myself driving "The Bus" thousands of miles, many times in tight situations, and not having scratched it. Well, that pride came to an end . . . and I am reminded that you can never forget anything around you when driving . . . especially when driving a vehicle the size of "The Bus".

I'll pay for my dumb negligence in fiberglass and paint when I get to the body shop. "Ouch!"

1 comment:

Linda and Doug said...

Oh Man!!!!!! That hurts just to look at it. Unfortunately it only takes one second for a boo boo to happen. Don't let it spoil your trip. Doug wants to know if there's anything he can do to help.
Linda & Doug