Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Margaretta Dentistry

Shortly before we left home in November, I had a dental examination. My Kansas dentist told me I "had a crack in #5" and he would put a crown on it in the Spring when we returned from Texas. I told him that as long as I would be in the Rio Grande Valley near the Mexican border, I would just go to Mexico and have a crown put on at a far lessor cost. Of course, he proceeded to tell me all of the "bad things" that could happen to me in a dental chair in Mexico.

Well, here we are in Southern Texas about 3 miles from the border. The Mexican border town of Nuevo Progreso has many pharmacies and dental clinics, in addition to numerous tourist attractions. It's where all of the Winter Texans go for medications and dental work. I inquired of several residents here in Palm Shadows RV Park about having dental work done across the border and found several had work done by Dr Ileana Sanchez Vega, a female dentist at Pena-Renya Dental Clinic just across the bridge in Nuevo Progreso, and all were very pleased with the care they received.




I called and made an appointment with Dr. Ileana for Tuesday morning. When I arrived at the clinic, I was pleasantly surprised (and admittedly somewhat relieved) that the dental facilities and equipment was comparable to anything in Kansas. The dentist had a mask on, wore rubber gloves, and unwrapped every instrument from a sterile package as needed. After what seemed to be a very thorough examination, she flipped a switch on the overhead TV I was watching while in the dental chair and proceeded to show me on the TV every tooth in my mouth using a small hand-held TV camera about the size of a pen.

As she displayed each tooth on the TV screen, she gave me a detained description of the status of each. No dentist in Kansas ever did that! She pointed out that there was no crack in #5; the crack was in the filling, not the tooth. I didn't need a crown; all I needed was a replacement of the filling. So that's what I had done at a cost of about 20% of what it would have been in Kansas.


After the dental work was completed, I had my picture taken in the lobby with "my dentist", Dr Ileana. I was very pleased and fully satisfied with the dental work she did and would not hesitate to return for additional dental work if that becomes necessary; nor would I hesitate to recommend her to anyone who needed dental work.

Not only was the work very good, but afterward they gave both Carole and I free Margarettas . . . so that's why I refer to this as "Margaretta Dentistry". No dentist in Kansas ever did that!




I am now a great advocate of "Margaretta Dentistry" . . . besides, Dr Ileana was not too bad to look at!

No comments: