Sunday, January 10, 2010

Guns Galore

I saw an ad in the local newspaper, The Monitor, for a Gun Show this weekend in Pharr, Texas; a nearby town about 6-7 miles down the road. I was excited (as always) to have the opportunity to see all of the offerings . . . and dream about building a big gun collection . . . again.


I chuckled to myself about the "mis-print" in the ad, which displayed a map of the State of Texas . . . backwards! I thought they ought to be more careful in proofreading before an ad goes to press. Boy, was I surprised when I arrived at the Pharr Convention Center and saw a truck of the show's producer, Saxet, with the company's name on the side along with their company logo . . . including a State of Texas map backwards! I don't understand the significance of displaying a Texas map backwards, but it obviously has some meaning to the proprietors of this company.







However, once inside the Convention Center, there was nothing "backwards" about the show. They had a pretty good display of guns and related items offered for sale, especially for a gun show in a small town like Pharr.

I saw several guns I may have been tempted to buy if I had been a Texas resident. Of course, out-of-state purchases are illegal so I all I could do was drool over some of the guns.






But since out-of-state purchases of ammunition are legal, and my kids/grandkids and I shot up all of my 9mm ammunition on Thanksgiving Day, I did pick up a couple hundred rounds of 9mm ammo. Now I'm ready for the next opportunity when I locate a shooting range or a place to shoot.

1 comment:

Dean Davis said...

My brother, Ron, a former Texas resident, astutely pointed out that the name of the promotion company, Saxet, is "Texas" spelled backwards, which explains why their company logo is a "backwards" map of Texas. I guess some people are just more imaginative than I am.