Monday, November 16, 2009

Winter Is Near

I hang an ear of corn on a tree just outside our dining room window, so while we are eating, we can watch the squirrels trying to get the cob off of the tree . . . or just eating the kernels off of the ear.
















I think "Winter Is Near". The last few days, the squirrels have been chewing the kernels off the ear, shelling each kernel, then scrambling down the tree and across the yard to bury it. Then it's back to the corn for another kernel to bury.



They are also tearing apart Hedge balls from the Hedge (Osage Orange) trees and burying those seeds. The squirrels are all working at a feverish pace. They must know that "Winter Is Near".

I wonder how they know where to find their food during the winter. Do they remember where they buried each kernel or seed? Or do they just sniff it out? Do they only dig up the ones they buried themselves? Or do they dig up anything buried by other squirrels?

It drives Carole crazy when I ask questions like that. She usually responds, "How would I know?" Then I have to explain that these questions don't require an answer . . . they are rhetorical questions. When I really want to know the answer, I'll Google it!

No comments: