Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Time To Shoot

One of my great passions is shooting. It doesn't make any difference whether it's skeet, trap, bench rest, or pistol . . . hunting waterfowl, upland game birds, deer, antelope, or shooting prairie dogs. However, I haven't had much opportunity to take "Time To Shoot" in the past several years.

So when Larry Westgate, husband of Carole's long-time friend, Nancy Goepfrich, invited me to shoot on our next trip to Indiana, I was excited to bring my rifle and a couple boxes of ammunition. On Sunday, I grabbed my rife and a pistol along with some ammo, and Carole and I went off to the Westgate's just across the border in Southern Michigan. They live out in the country where Larry and I went to an old nearby gravel pit and set up some targets. We had a great time shooting.

I shot my varmint rifle, my 'baby', a pre-64 Winchester model 70 in cal 220 Swift with an 8-32x scope. It still shoots very, very well. Larry also shot my 'baby', as pictured below, and loved every minute of it. He agrees that's a fine rifle.



Larry also shot his cal 243 rifle then, after a number of rounds, we moved closer and touched off a few rounds with my S&W Model 59 cal 9mm. I think that's a really sweet pistol. Larry doesn't care for double-action in a semi-automatic pistol . . . but he tried shooting it anyway as shown below.



Today was one of the most enjoyable days I've had in a while. We didn't shoot a whole lot, but it was really nice to be able to take "Time To Shoot". I really should do this more often!

No comments: