Monday, May 10, 2010

The Loneliest Road in the World

We had to take time out this morning to add coolant to the engine of "The Bus" as we had trouble keeping the engine cool going up some of the grades crossing the Colorado Rockies. Then while talking with local people in Salina, Utah, we learned that US50 across Nevada is known as "The Loneliest Road in the World". Then I heard the weather report forecasting snow at the higher elevations.

I began feeling a little uneasy about traveling "The Loneliest Road in the World". We were told that we faced hundreds of miles of open desert between towns, steep grades in the mountains and many switchbacks. What if we had a breakdown? What if we got caught in a snow storm?

We left Salina, Utah, and had to travel a short distance on the Interstate before we got to the US50 exit to take the scenic route . . . known as "The Loneliest Road in the World". I missed the turnoff and we had to travel nearly 20 miles before we had an opportunity to turn around. I decided God was trying to tell me something . . . like we should not take "The Loneliest Road in the World". So I decided to stay on the Interstate.

The weather was bright and sunny. The temperature was very pleasant. We connected with I-80 Interstate, the easy route, which would take us across Nevada and all of the way to California. The road was quite flat through the Salt Evaporation Area of Utah and desert area of Nevada. It was really kind of a boring drive.



We had a rather uneventful day and when we stopped for the night in Westover, Nevada, I began to wonder if my concern about traveling "The Loneliest Road in the World" had been an over-reaction.

No comments: