Sunday, September 27, 2009

Exploring Breckenridge

We awoke to a beautiful sunny morning with the sun shining on the snow-capped mountains outside our bedroom window. Following a simple breakfast, it was time for "Exploring Breckenridge".

To get my bearings, I thought it best to first drive around town just to see what's here and where everything is. Carole elected to let me first go exploring in the Blazer my myself. So I drove around town and discovered a Main Street with many interesting shops to explore and many interesting places to eat. The Blue River, a fast mountain stream, runs through town following Main Street. They have a very interesting river walk behind the shops on Main and a large plaza type area in the center of town.


















Away from Main Street, I found massive big lodges and resorts, several still under construction. I was also surprised at the large number of fairly new huge homes scattered on the mountainside. Most of the homes appeared unoccupied, so I assume many are only used during ski season or on weekends. Another example of some people just have too much money . . . but it is fun to see how the wealthy people live.

This picture is a single family home, not a lodge or resort. Just a weekend cabin in the mountains!





After getting my bearings, Carole and I then decided on a trip to the grocery we had been told about on the far north end of town, so we decided to do our shopping for the week. While we were at the grocery, my brother, Ron, and his daughter, Holly, called to tell us they were about 5 minutes away (yes, we were expecting them), so we invited them to stop by the grocery on their way into town then follow us to the condo.

It was good to see them both. They will be staying with us for the rest of the week and we expect to have a good time together.

So much for "Exploring Breckenridge" today, but there's lots more we want to see and do in the next few days.

No comments: